Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The beginning

Hello World!  I start this blog in the hopes of initiating a dialog about how we as individuals and as a society understand and respond to soldiers who have been in combat.  For the previous 13 years I worked at Walter Reed Army Medical Center where I treated Service members (Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines, both men and women) who had been deployed and came back with concerns related to their deployment.  Many of these SMs struggled with what we call PTSD, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.  I've written a paper based on my work with those veterans which I will post here as soon as I figure out how to do so.  (Help welcome.)  I hope you will read the article and engage with me in a discussion of my ideas and yours about what I believe is a very important issue.  How we understand the effects of combat will affect how we treat our returning veterans.  And I believe that has profound implications on whether or not they will be able to rejoin the community of citizens.

Let's talk about it.

Roy Clymer

No comments:

Post a Comment